The Musician’s Guide to Self-Promotion

One of the most important skills that a musician should have is the ability to promote their music. It is important to let people know about the material which you are making. This means creating your own media campaigns, performing Public relations (PR) as well as branding.

Unless you already have a major label investing its money in you, these activities fall under your responsibility. How can you make yourself known as an artist? Simply follow these steps to discover the musician’s guide to self-promotion.

Article sponsored by  Electrician Fort Worth

band

Use Live Music Sessions 
Live music allows for interaction with your fans on a first-hand basis. While it is possible to create, produce, distribute and promote your music digitally, a live performance of your material goes a long way in the promotion. When you perform live music, you can inform your fans about some new album, a song that you have. You can also inform them about a concept that you want to tackle. A neat trick is to tell your fans that you will be playing your entire album on stage over the next month.

 

This will make your most loyal fans attend every show which you perform. As such, you will be able to get a steady following and promote yourself through live music. Live music is actually very effective in creating fans in new cities, towns or states.

Utilize Social Media 
social mediaSocial media sites are the meeting places of the world. There are a number of popular social media platforms, for example, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. If you are not on social media, it is like you are simply invisible. While not a dedicated marketing platform, social media inspires word of mouth promotion and the creation of targeted conversations. You can make your own pages as an artist. On these pages, you can post material which lets your fans know who you are as a person and discovers the inspiration for your music. When promoting yourself through social media, you should ensure that 80% of your posts are funny and conversation starters. On the other hand, 20% of them should be directly promotional in nature. The main advantage of social media is that you can post textual material, videos, audio and pictures too. As such, you can promote your music and your brand at the same time.

Target The Right Audience
Every self-promotion effort should have a specific target in mind. In making your music known, the audience changes depending on the goal you intend to achieve. For example, if you want to set up a new show, then the right target audience is the local print publications, radio stations, and the media. On the other hand, if you are releasing some new music, then your target audience is your fanbase and band mailing list. It is very important to target the right audience because it saves money and keeps your efforts strategic.

Provide Good Quality Promo Packages 
These are packages of material which promote you as an artist. Your promo package should contain items that deliver your music and describe your brand at the same time. To make progress professionally, your promo package should contain a press release that has news about you, a short band biography and your music CD. It should also contain any press coverage that you have accomplished, a color photograph of you or your band as well as your contact details including your social media handles.

Self-promotion is a full-time job for an independent artist. It involves a number of activities and they have described above. If done well, it can catapult you from a one-town act to a national sensation.

Thank you for visiting our site, and for reading our articles.  We hope we are bringing value to you and your music career.   If you have any comments, please contact us.   Also please remember to visit our sponsor:  http://www.fortworthtxelectrician.com/

 

Other Articles You May Be Interested In Reading:

Leave a Reply